Thanksgiving is celebrated with feasts and football games and the start of the Christmas shopping season, Thanksgiving means roasted turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and green bean casserole with Campbells mushroom soup. No matter how you celebrate this momentous day, at Vaught Orthodontics, we want you to know we are thankful for all our wonderful patients we treat throughout the year. We wouldn’t be here without you! To commemorate this traditional holiday, we would like to share some fun Thanksgiving trivia we thought you would enjoy! Feel free to add some fun facts of your own in the comment area.
- Thanksgiving was not declared a National Holiday by Congress until 1941
- The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe Native Americans in 1621 and lasted for 3 days.
- At the original Thanksgiving, there was no milk, cheese, bread, butter, mashed potatoes, corn or pumpkin pie.
- The presenting of the live turkey to the President has been a tradition since 1947. The President then pardons the turkey, allowing it to live out its remaining years on a farm.
- Thanksgiving is also celebrated in Canada- on the second Monday in October.
- Abraham Lincoln chose the last Thursday in November for Thanksgiving